About the Contest
An International Search for the Next Generation of Jewish Theater
For six years, the JPC has been scouring all corners of the English-speaking world for the most fascinating, compelling, daring playscripts that embrace the intersection of Jewish identity and the 21st Century. Here's how it works.
STEP 1: GathER
The JPP gathers scripts from around the world - over 200 per year, representing the widest cross-section of new Jewish drama ever assembled. So far, we've received and vetted:
STEP 2: JUDGE
A diverse group of New York theater professionals reads and reviews every play, asking three main questions:
- Is it a great play?
- Does it represent 21st Century Jewish identity?
- Can it have a future on the world's best stages?
After much discussion, we choose the
Jewish Playwriting Contest Top 10!!
STEP 3: TOUR
The Top 10 travels to as many as 12 Jewish communities, presenting them for lay leaders, clergy, arts-lovers and regional theater pros.
- Each community assembles their own Reader Panel, and chooses their Top 3.
- The JPP creates an interactive show - our signature Live Contest Event - for audiences of up to 150.
- Each city crowns their own regional winner.
Right around Pesach, we announce the ULTIMATE WINNER!
STEP 4: THE PRIZE
The champion play arrives in New York for the featured workshop in the JPP's annual OPEN: Festival of New Jewish Theater at the 14th Street Y, playing 2 performances for industry and public audiences!
4 of our 6 Winners have been produced on the East and West Coasts!
THE 2018 CONTEST WILL FEATURE THE BEST OF ALL SIX YEARS!!
Read on to learn more!!
THE 2018 JEWISH PLAYWRITING CONTEST:
THE BEST OF THE BEST
2018 marks year seven in the history of the JPP, a number ripe with symbolism and mysticism. We're partial to ideas of the seven year sabbatical - the shmita - in which we take a short breather and celebrate.
The 2018 Jewish Playwriting Contest will be our shmita - a celebration of 6 years of new Jewish plays, and a chance to revisit the amazing work we have gathered thus far before we launch into a new cycle of growth and expansion for the field of Jewish theater.
This year, only the previous Top 10 plays will be eligible for the Contest!! Our fantastic Artist Panel will reread these great pieces to determine the Jewish Playwriting Contest's Top 7 Plays of All Time!
Here's what you need to know:
- All 62 plays previously featured (we had 12 one year) are eligible, including past winners, unless they have been published since they were featured.
- Plays are not frozen - we are reading the most up to date drafts, and several writers have rewritten specifically for this Contest!
- The rest of the Contest rules - Artist Panels, Tour, Community Panels, Scoring, still apply.
- The winning play will still receive a featured workshop in the OPEN Festival, plus some exciting new prizes which will be announced soon!
Right after the High Holidays, we will announce the Top 7 plays, and immediately begin the 2018 Jewish Playwriting Contest Tour with our first visit to Houston - at the Evelyn Rubenstein JCC!!!
If you are a playwright who was looking forward to submitting, DO NOT FRET! After the Top 10 is announced, we will begin an open submissions process for plays that have not been previously sent to the JPP. If you'd like to learn more about that, sign up for our email list.